About Tanzania eVisa
The Tanzania eVisa is a compulsory electronic visa that enables citizens from eligible countries to enter Tanzania. It was introduced by the Tanzanian government to simplify the application process for travelers from abroad.
The Tanzania eVisa is a single-entry type with no extensions allowed. Only USA citizens can get a multiple-entry visa.
You can apply for a Tanzania visa online within minutes following an approachable application guide providing some information and attaching required documents.
Tanzania eVisa types
There are two types of an electronic visa to Tanzania according to the traveling purposes:
- tourist eVisa – allowing to enter the country for tourism-related purposes, for example, exploring the tourist destinations or visiting family and friends. It permits you to stay in the country for up to 30 days.
- transit eVisa – for travelers who need to enter Tanzania in order to get to their next destination. This type of visa allows staying for seven days and can only be used for transit, as you need a tourist visa for any tourism purposes.
The electronic Tanzania entry permit is not issued for any business or work-related purposes. If an applicant needs to enter the country for such purposes, they should attend an embassy or a consulate and handle a regular visa)
How to apply for an electronic visa to Tanzania
When choosing an eVisa, the Tanzania visa application process goes entirely online and is easy to complete for any user. If you have the necessary documents and your country is eligible for electronic visas, you should follow these simple steps:
- Fill out the online form using your personal and travel details. Make sure the provided information is correct to avoid any issues or delays.
- Pay the visa fee. You can choose any available online payment method, for example, your debit or credit card.
- Check your inbox. The approved visa for Tanzania will be delivered in PDF format to your email address within ten business days.
- Print out the Tanzania online travel document and take a paper copy with you to the airport.
Children need to have their own electronic permit to travel to Tanzania. The application for underage travelers is filed by their parents or guardians.
A validity period for Tanzania online visa starts on the intended date of entry to the country which you specified in the application form. It depends on the online visa type you chose:
- tourist eVisa is valid for 30 days from arrival;
- transit eVisa allows staying in the country for seven days before moving to the next destination;
- multiple-entry eVisa (available only for US citizens) permits to stay in Tanzania for 90 days and is valid for one year from the arrival date.
Requirements for eVisa to Tanzania
The requirements for getting an online visa for Tanzania are pretty basic, so if your country is eligible for eVisas, you will most likely meet other requirements as well. You must have:
- a working gadget (phone, laptop, PC, tablet) with access to the internet;
- an ability to make online payments;
- an active email address.
Requirements on arrival
At customs, officials will check the following mandatory documents:
- a valid passport (note that Tanzania eVisa is linked directly to the passenger’s passport, so if there are any changes to the passport data, or if the passport is lost or expired, the eVisa becomes invalid);
- a paper copy of the Tanzania electronic visa (it can be black and white).
At the airport, you will get a passport stamp with the stated date of returning to your country of origin or transiting to another destination.
Before you visit Tanzania, you should plan which of the border points to use, as there is a list of airports and border points for travelers with an online visa. Tanzanian seaports accept eVisas too.
Border crossing points to use:
- Namanga border
- Tunduma border
Available airports include:
- Julius Nyerere International Airport (JNIA)
- Kilimanjaro International Airport (KIA)
- Abeid Amani Karume International Airport (AAKIA)
- Mwanza International Airport (MWZ).
There is a possibility to get an online Tanzania visa on arrival. Still, we advise you to handle your eVisa beforehand in order to avoid any issues during your trip, long queues, or tense situations. So it’s better to apply at least ten business days prior to your trip