About Rwanda eVisa
The Rwanda eVisa is an online visa used since the 1st of January 2018. The authorities of Rwanda implemented this option to allow foreign visitors to visit the country without long-lasting and complicated formalities.
Through electronic visa application, travelers fill in an online application form and attach necessary documents. There are also a few online visa payments method to choose from.
By holding eVisa, foreigners may enter Rwanda for tourism and business purposes through the international Kigali airports and other entry points along the border.
Four types of Rwanda online visas were implemented. These are a single entry visa for 30 or 90 days of stay and a multiple entry visa for 30 and 90 days of stay. Their validity also varies from 30 to 90 days.
The visa application process includes a few steps, from filling in the application form through submitting required documents and covering a fee to printing the eVisa when it is approved and delivered via email.
Thanks to the electronic visa system, travelers from eligible countries do not have to go to an embassy. Instead, they can complete the process of applying for a visa from home.
Types of Rwanda eVisas
The online visa to Rwanda is available in four types. Applicants choose the type which suits their traveler plans best. The visas are as follows:
- a Single entry Rwanda eVisa lets foreign visitors enter Rwanda once and stay there for up to 30 days.
- a Multiple entry Rwanda eVisa may be used for multiple entries into the country and remains valid for 90 days from the planned date of the first arrival
- a Conference online visa is a single entry permit used for business travels like meetings, negotiations, training, and conferences that last up to 30 days.
- East African Rwanda online visa allows travelers to visit three African countries (Rwanda, Kenya, Uganda) with one document; this eVisa type is a multiple entry permit that stays valid for 90 days and may be used for tourism-related trips.
How to apply for an electronic visa to Rwanda
To apply for Rwanda eVisa, you need to use any electronic device connected to the Internet.
Before starting the procedure, prepare a valid passport and ensure your email is active because the approved visa will be delivered to the given email address.
There are a few simple steps to follow:
- Carefully fill out an application form with your personal information, basic travel details, passport number, and contact information. Attach supporting documents. Check if the given data is correct.
- Cover a visa fee by choosing the most convenient online payment method. Check for the payment confirmation.
- Wait for the visa to be delivered via email. It can take up to 72 hours. Print the document to carry with you during the travel.
The validity time of an online visa to Rwanda depends on the selected type and intended entry date given in an application form.
Eligible travelers may choose between:
- a single entry online visa which stays valid for 30 days from the intended date of entry
- a multiple-entry eVisa that expires after 90 days from the first entry date
- a Conference eVisa, which remains valid for 30 days from the date of entry to Rwanda
- the East Africa eVisa, a document that allows its holders to travel within the 90-day validity time
Rwanda eVisa requirements
Compared to the traditional paper visa, Rwanda eVisa doesn’t have many requirements.
Travelers must only prepare the essential documents and apply well in advance to receive the approved visa before leaving for a journey.
To submit the application, you need any internet-connected electronic device and a few minutes to go through easy and intuitive steps.
The approved document must be saved, printed, and kept during the entire travel.
A passport is the most important document required for a visa application. It must be valid for a minimum of 6 months from the beginning of the travel. The intended date of arrival will be given in the application form.
The applicant attaches the necessary documents to the application form. These are:
- A photograph of the passport’s bio-data page
- The passport face photographs (taken with a phone or PC camera) needed only for a Conference eVisa or the East Africa Online Visa
Requirements on arrival
When you arrive in Rwanda and go through border control, you will be asked to show your passport and visa. Please remember to print the online visa and use the paper copy for every control because the electronic version of the visa saved on a mobile device will not be enough.
The passport’s validity cannot be less than 6 months when entering the country. The expiry date should be checked before leaving for a journey to Rwanda.